THE SALT WAREHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134472

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: THE SALT WAREHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SALT WAREHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 17:47:30.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SALT WAREHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 06488 23687

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE SOWERBY BRIDGE CANAL BASIN SE 0623-0723 13/215 The Salt Warehouse (formerly 17.10.75 listed as Central Warehouse (No 3), Bolton Brow) GV II Canal warehouse. Probably 1796. For the Calder and Hebble Navigation Company. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings, unroofed and being rebuilt at time of resurvey (October 1985). 3 storeys, 2 upstanding at time of resurvey. 6 bays. West front: 3 left bays: each bay has a 2-storey elliptical archway with rounded corners. The 2 left arches giving access to wet docks, the 3rd a through way. 3 right bays: wide central loading door to each floor flanked by 3-light windows (ground-floor left window now of 2 lights). Former list description records 3-light windows over archways and hipped slate roof as front. Interior: on ground floor of right hand bays large scantling chamfered timber posts support cross-beams. The through-archway has stone cross walls with a doorway to each side, that on right with panelled double door. The left hand bay still has wet dock; the other former wet dock is now flagged and in the floor of this bay is a large stone with socket for a wooden crane which survives leaning against a toilet block to rear. Occupied by Richard Milnes, the first large scale Trans-Penning carrier, until his last failure in 1799 when it was let to the Rochdale canal Company (Sowerby Bridge, p23). The 1793 Rochdale Canal Act instructed the Calder and Hebble Navigation Company to build at Sowerby Bridge whatever wharves and warehouses the Rochdale Company wanted, the latter to pay for the space they used (Hadfield, p 60). A contract in 1796 to build a new warehouse is attributed to this building (Sowerby Bridge, p23). C Hadfield, Canals of Yorkshire and North-East England (1972). Sowerby Bridge, Chamber of Trade and Commerce Official Guide RCHM(E) report.

Listing NGR: SE0648823687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339343

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sowerby Bridge Chamber of Trade and Commerce Official Tourist Guide, (1985)
Hadfield, C, The Canals of Yorkshire and North East England, (1972)

End of official listing