This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1134543

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, HAUGH END LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 339222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE HAUGH END LANE SE 0423 and SE 0523 (south side) 12/80 Church of St George 11.7.80 GV II Church. 1839-40 by Edward Walsh. Coursed squared stone, ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. Norman style. West tower, nave with north vestry, chancel with apse. Tower: 3 stages; pilaster butresses; door and one window to each stage on each side; parapet. Nave: 5 bays defined by pilaster buttresses; round-arched windows have shafts with cushion capitals and zig-zag ornament to heads; parapet on simple block corbels. Chancel: l-bay with apse; added aisles with door to north, window to south; east end has 3 stepped round-arched windows with hoodmould over all. Interior: west gallery supported on 2 octagonal columns with Passion scene carved on front (1931). Three round-arched roof trusses to nave on corbelled tiebeams with pendants. Round chancel arch with zig-zag, nail-head and billet decoration and shafts with cushion capitals. Fine carved panelling and seat to sanctuary and carved screen between nave and choir (dated 1931). Font, brought in 1970 from St John the Divine, Thorpe (built in 1880), is octangonal with carved sides and stands on central column with 8 outer marble colonettes. Sowerby St George's, a brief history, pamphlet; Kelly's Directory 1893.

Listing NGR: SE0547523147

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sowerby St George's a brief history - pamphlet
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1893)

National Grid Reference: SE 05475 23147

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:01:21.

End of official listing