THE NAVIGATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134559

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: THE NAVIGATION, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NAVIGATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134559 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:37:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE NAVIGATION, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 06692 23790

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE CHAPEL LANE SE 0623-0723 (east end), 13/32 Sowerby Bridge The Navigation - II House, now pub. Probably early-mid C17 with earlier origins; in late C18 extended and converted to cottages with weaving shop above; in early C19 converted to a pub. Coursed squared stone and thin-coursed stone; stone slate roof. East front: 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays. Left bay, added C18 of thin-coursed stone having quoins, blocked corniced doorway, 3-light flat-faced mullion window in reveal above, and eaves stack. Main, C17, part has: on left, a round-arched doorway with voussoirs, c1970 window to its left, an 8-light double-chamfered mullion and transom window with king mullion and diamond-stopped dripmould to its right, and above these two 3-light double-chamfered mullion windows; right-hand bay has paired late C18/early C19 doorways with a 3-light flat-faced mullion window to right on each floor; 2 renewed stacks, one of brick, forward of ridge, above doorway and between right-hand bays. Rear: the two left-hand bays are 3-storeyed having C18 paired doorways with a 3-light window to left on each floor and a 2-light window to right on each floor, windows C18 flat-faced mullioned with several mullions removed; the 2 right-hand bays, refronted C19, project and have a corniced doorway flanked by 2-light windows on each floor, a continuous ground-floor hoodmould and end stacks forward of ridge. Right return: taking-in door to attic/2nd floor. Left return: blocked windows to ground floor; on lst floor a 2-light flat-faced mullion window and two similar 3-light windows with stepped reveals; in gable two 2-light flat-faced mullion windows. Interior: in housebody chamfered spine beams and a segmental- arched moulded fireplace with moulded cornice and a later date "IMW 1722" (John and Mary Wainhouse). There was a mill on this site since 1300, a house by 1521 and in the C17 it was occupied by the Waterhouse family of Broadgates who were involved in the cloth industry. In the late C17/early C18 it was sold to John Wainhouse whose initials are over the fireplace (Kendall). The pub conversion would have followed the building of the canal just to the south, 1759-64 (Guide p22). HP Kendall & HE Mereclough Bottom, Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 10, 1913, pp 119-129 Sowerby Bridge Chamber of Trade and Commerce Official Tourist Guide (c1985).

Listing NGR: SE0669223790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339156

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sowerby Bridge Chamber of Trade and Commerce Official Tourist Guide, (1985)
Other
(1913)

End of official listing