LOWER EAST LEE AND ATTACHED BARN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1134577

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: LOWER EAST LEE AND ATTACHED BARN, EAST LEE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER EAST LEE AND ATTACHED BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 23:10:41.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER EAST LEE AND ATTACHED BARN, EAST LEE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Todmorden

National Grid Reference: SD 96012 25461

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 92SE TODMORDEN (former M.B.) EAST LEE LANE SD 960254

3/100 Lower East Lee and attached barn (formerly listed as Lower last 22.11.66 Lee Farmhouse and Barn to north of Lower East Lee) G.V. II*

House. 1610 (date on lintel of rear doorway), with added porch c.1631 with added barn on to right hand end early C19. Large dressed stone which is watershot to barn, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-room through-passage plan with projecting 2-storey gabled porch. Of 4 uneven bays. Reads from left double chamfered mullioned window of 4 lights with 4-light chamfered mullioned window over. Long range of 12 lights to double chamfered mullioned window over. Some original hollow chamfered mullions survive others have ordinary chamfer. 3rd bay is formed by porch which has lintel with ogee, composite jambs, and finely moulded surround with fleur-de-lys carving to stop. Over lintel is inscribed narrow stone reading: ' Es, 27.OCTO.1631 '. Over is double chamfered mullioned and transomed window with hoodmould of 6 lights. Surmounted by columbarium and arched light with spandrels. Coped gable with kneelers and crocketed finial to apex. Return walls have small chamfered light. Square headed to left hand, arched to right hand. 4th bay has 2 slightly chamfered mullioned windows of 2 lights, the wall between opened to form extra light, (mullions removed). Over is similar 2-light window with sill removed and lengthened. The original plan would appear to have been: Parlour, Housebody, through passage and service end (with inferior window detail). 3 stacks to ridge, 2 of which are C17 (those to left hand gable and 3rd bay) and one C18 stack to right hand gable both of which are coped with slight kneelers. Attached to right hand gable flush with front, but with lower roof line, is barn which has semi-circular arched cart entry with composite jambs with Venetian window over with projecting false keystone. To left a 6-light flat faced mullioned window now forms 2 windows and door. To right is doorway to mistal with tie stones. Coped gable. Interior of barn of 3 bays of Queen post roof of very wide span. Rear of house retains some chamfered mullioned windows. Return wall has 2-light window with heavy square lintel bearing the initials 'WM'. Interior: Through passage has arch carrying stack with early C19 punched stonework. Housebody has large segmental arch to fireplace with moulded surround. Inside is square opening to domed beehive oven. Spine beams have scarf joints giving evidence of former bressumer for firehood. Parlour has finely stop chamfered spine beams and floor joists. King block roof.

Listing NGR: SD9601225461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339092

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing