This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1134588

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340997

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 12 SE SPENBOROUGH MB CHURCH LANE HARTSHEAD 3/91 12/1/67 Church of St Peter

G.V. II*

Church. Norman tower, south doorway and chancel arch. The rest of the church is Neo-Norman of 1881. Hammer dressed stone, tower of coursed rubble, stone slate roof with gable copings. West tower, 3-bay nave and aisles, south porch, 2-bay lower chancel with vestry wing to north. Single 3-light gabled dormer to north and south pitch of nave. Triple groups of round arched windows, with hood moulds, to nave. Triple group east window with engaged colonnettes, hood mould and zig-zag decoration. A reset stone in the vestry wall is dated 1713, with names of 5 church wardens. South porch has zig-zag and bead and reel decoration, colonnette in reveals and hood mould with beak-head stops. The square west tower has slightly corbelled out crenellated parapet. Bell chamber openings are 2-light, one is transomed, some round arched. The south doorway and the chancel arch are the same, with two orders of columns with decorated scallop capitals and decorated abaci, and much close zig-zag work in the arch. 3-bay arcade to each side. Aisle windows have detached colonnettes. Font of 1881 on Norman base. Carved oak Holy Table, now in south chapel, was given by Sir John Armytage of Kirklees in 1708. C.17 candelabrum, in nave, from Hartshead Hall. Armytage family crypt under chancel.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SE1790023310

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 17900 23310

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134588 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 06:43:53.

End of official listing