This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1134593

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341006

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 12 NE SPENBOROUGH MB CHURCH STREET CLECKHEATON 1/100 Church of St John

II

Gothic Revival Church. The west tower only remains of the Commissioners' Church of 1830-32 by Peter Atkinson Junior. Chancel of 1864. -The rest of the church 1886-8 by William Swindon Barber. Hammer dressed stone. Slate roof with gable copings. West tower, 5-bay nave with lean-to buttressed aisles, and south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry wing. Triple lancets to clerestory, paired lancets with stained glass to aisles. 2-light windows with traceried head and hood mould to chancel. East window is of 5-lights with large 8-foiled circle in head. 3-tier square tower with west lancet and south doorway. Two lancets and one blind clock face to 2nd tier. Paired louvred lancets to 3rd tier. Large angle buttresses to 1st tier and slender clasping buttresses to 2nd and 3rd tiers. Small parapet on moulded corbel brackets. Formerly the tower had 4 slender pinnacles with conical tops.

Spacious interior with 5-bay arcade to each side on short columns. Clerestory and aisle windows have detached colonnettes with foliated capitals. Chancel arch. Carved oak chancel screen of 1910 with 12 Apostles carved at base and richly carved frieze of vines. Similarly carved pulpit of same date. Richly carved stone reredos depicting the Last Supper.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SE1924925393

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 19249 25393

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 03:30:31.

End of official listing