CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1134612
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, STAINCLIFFE HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:03:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, STAINCLIFFE HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 23065 23614

Details

SE 22 SW BATLEY MB STAINCLIFFE HALL ROAD STAINCLIFFE

4/45 Christ Church

II

Gothic Revival Church in style of 1300 (Pevsner). 1867 by W H Crossland of Leeds, unfinished. Hammer dressed stone. Quoins. Pitched slate roof. 5-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. North and south aisles each with porch. 3 tier west tower with diagonal buttressing and crenellated parapet with tall crocketted pinnacles. The tower was designed to have a tall slender spire but this was not built. Bell chamber has traceried 6-light louvred openings. 5-light stained glass east window, traceried with engaged colonnettes with foliated capitals, and hood mould with figure head stops. Similar 4-light west window. 3-light clerestory windows, traceried with 3 trefoils. 2-light aisle windows with stained glass to south, one of which is German. Hood moulds over have plain square stops and were presumably to have been carved in situ. Interior features include tall chancel arch with foliage carving. Aisle arches on quatrefoil columns with capitals carved with vines. Screened Lady Chapel to north side. Round carved stone font. Hammer beam roof. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SE2306523614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340951
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16611/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].