HYRSTLANDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134621

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: HYRSTLANDS, TRACK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HYRSTLANDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:24:37.

Location

Statutory Address: HYRSTLANDS, TRACK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 23791 23149

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 22 SW BATLEY MB TRACK ROAD BATLEY CARR

4/62 Hyrstlands

II

Large detached house, now approved school. Dated 1891. Built as private residence of Sir Mark Oldroyd, MP and local mill owner. Ashlar. Double pile, hipped slate roof with moulded eaves cornice. Ashlar stacks with cornices. 2 storeys. 7 bays by 5 with moulded string course between floors. Bays are divided by rusticated pilasters to ground floor and paired Ionic pilasters to 1st floor which are surmounted by ball finials on moulded bases. Entrance front of 7 bays. The central bay breaks forward and is surmounted by square attic tower with pyramidal roof, and with clasping pilasters. Small pediment over window with ornately carved surround and flanked by tapering pilasters. Entrance and single light to each side, each have blind arch with elaborately carved foliage. Small shield over door with initials M.O. 1st floor oriel window with cornice and balustrade over. 3 bays to right include canted bay and conservatory.

Garden front has canted bay to left with cornice and balustrade. At 1st floor level is carved panel with date 1891 flanked by pilasters surmounted by carved pediment. To right, each floor has large 3-light window. Right side elevation of 5 bays of single sashes with architraves. (Ground floor centre window is 2-light). Pediment surmounts centre bay which breaks forward slightly. Left elevation has covered link to recent building.

Good interior with many original fittings including panelling and carved fireplaces. Hall has gallery with carved balusters. Wooden staircase with panelled dado. Pedimented doors. Some fitted furniture including sideboard and bookcases.



Listing NGR: SE2379123149

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340968

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing