CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134643

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, EALAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134643 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:06:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, EALAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 23378 24972

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 22 SW BATLEY MB EALAND ROAD CARLINGHOW

4/16 Church of St John

II

Gothic Revival Church. 1879 by Michael Sheard. Pitched faced stone. Pitched slate roof with gable copings. 4 bay nave with paired pointed lights to clerestory. Lean-to buttressed aisles with similar paired lights. 3 bay buttressed chancel with lancets. 3-light east window with geometrical tracery and flanking single lights. Vestry wing to north side of chancel. At west end of nave are 2 lancets with cinquefoiled oculus over, all with hood moulds. Massive south porch intended to carry a tower, with buttresses and round angle turret.

4-bay arcade to north and south with double chamfered arches. Capitals are plain or unfinished. Chancel arch. Rood beam and rood added 1929. Stained glass to east window 1919, and south side'1924 and later. 14 Stations of the Cross. Stone carved pulpit. Good wrought iron and brass lectern of 1923. Alternate roof trusses: arched hammer beam and scissor braced.

Listing NGR: SE2337824972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340920

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing