This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1134665



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Meltham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 11 SW MELTHAM MILLS ROAD (Meltham Mills) 2/33 Church of St. James 6th April 1967 II

Gothic Revival Church. 1845 by J P Pritchett. Endowed and founded by James Brook of Thorparch. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof with gable copings. Cruciform plan with square west tower with slender, octagonal stone spire. Chancel with side bays. South porch on south transept. Square porch on south side of tower. Bay divisions marked by buttresses. Angle buttresses to corners surmounted by tall pinnacles. 4-bay nave, transepts are 2 bays deep, 2-bay chancel under which, at east end, is arched slype with foiled window openings. Vault under chancel with arched entrance on east side. Single bay to each side of chancel containing vestry and organ. Slender 2-light lancets with cusped heads and hood moulds to nave. Similar north and south 3-light window to transepts. Single and 2-light traceried windows with cambered heads to chancel and side bays. East window is 3-light with cusped lights and two quatrefoils in head. 2-tier tower with diagonal buttresses and crenellated ashlar parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Simple 2-light bell chamber openings, and slender 2-light lancets with transom to lower tier, all with hood moulds with mask-like faces as stops.

Interior: gallery to west, and north and south transepts, the latter now gone. Those to north and south were presumably later than 1853 since they part obscure wall memorials, one of that date. Galleries were reached from the outside. Chancel and transept arches on clustered responds. Diagonally crossbraced roof with carved bosses,

Carved oak reredos, pulpit, reading desk and good. eagle lecturn. Memorial to James Brook of Thorparch, 1845, by E G Physick, a marble relief depicting mother and child and departing husband. Also by E G Physick, 1855, a memorial to Charlotte and William Leigh Brook of Meltham Hall, a marble relief of lamenting women. A memoral to James Brook of Thornton Lodge, died 1840, by H Mares.

N. P.evsner, The Buildings of England, 1967. D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, 1978.

Listing NGR: SE1077410895

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 10774 10895


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:34:11.

End of official listing