CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1134680
Date first listed:
03-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HOPTON HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:00:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HOPTON HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Mirfield
National Grid Reference:
SE 19716 18526

Details

MIRFIELD UD HOPTON HALL LANE SE 11 NE (Upper Hopton)

4/119 Church of St. John

G.V. II

Church. 1846 in Perpendicular style by Ignatius Bonomi and Cory. Roughly coursed stone, with quoins and ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof with gable copings. 4-bay buttressed nave with lean-to north aisle and south porch. 2-bay chancel with vestry on north side. 3-tier square, reducing west tower with diagonal buttresses, and stair tower on north side. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles and pyramidal stone slate roof with tall weather-cock. 2-light bell chamber openings with Perpendicular tracery. 3-light west window. 2-light nave windows. 4-light east window. All with Perpendicular tracery.

Interior: 4-bay arcade to left on quatrefoil piers. The eastern bay contains the organ. Stencilling and painting to panelled chancel. Carved oak chancel screen. Oak pewed with linen-fold panels. Pews at base of tower. Central font opposite porch. Stained glass east window of 1891. Arched-braced roof to nave and chancel.

Listing NGR: SE1971618526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340806
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00885/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].