This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

List entry Number: 1134696

Location

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340741

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEWSBURY CB HUDDERSFIELD ROAD SE 22 SW (Ravensthorpe)

2/56 Church of St. Saviour 30/6/49 II

Large Gothic Revival church. 1901 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Steeply pitched and hipped roofs, slated to west end, tiled to east. 5-bay nave with pitched roofed south aisle of similar proportions. North porch. Tall chancel with large north and south transept. Tall 5-light east window with reticulated tracery. South transept window - a large wheel. North transept window - 2-tier with reticulated tracery. Aisle, side - chapel and nave windows - 2-light with curvilinear tracery. North porch with adjoining short square tower with octagonal open bell-cote with slated spine. Archivolted slender, cusped, bell-cote openings. West window 3-light with reticulated tracery.

Interior: 5-bay central arcade on octagonal piers. Large transept arches on clustered responds. North side chapel of 2 bays arcaded, in each direction, on clustered and filleted responds and piers. Organ chamber on south side rood loft. Wooden vaulted roofs to east end. Arched braced collar roof to nave and aisle. Commemorative glass to east window 1922 and to east window of north chapel 1924.

Listing NGR: SE2230320298

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 22303 20298

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134696 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:52:18.

End of official listing