This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RUINS OF THE MEDIEVAL THORNHILL HALL IN MOATED ENCLOSURE, IN RECTORY GROUNDS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUINS OF THE MEDIEVAL THORNHILL HALL IN MOATED ENCLOSURE, IN RECTORY GROUNDS

List entry Number: 1134729

Location

RUINS OF THE MEDIEVAL THORNHILL HALL IN MOATED ENCLOSURE, IN RECTORY GROUNDS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340714

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEWSBURY CB CHURCH LANE SE 21 NE (Thornhill) SE 256 189

6/29 Ruins of the medieval Thornhill Hall in moated 30/6/49 enclosure, in Rectory grounds

II

Fragments of a manor house. 1450. The moat, also 1450 is still well filled with water. The ruins comprise a fire-place of rubble, lined in brickwork, and part of a wall containing the sill of a large 2-light window and part of the moulded surround. Two, much erroded, limestone eagles on the edge of the water moved in the C19 but said to have been on the site of the gatehouse to the hall.

In August 1648 troops of Lady Anne Savile, under Capt. Thos. Paulden defended the hall against the Parliamentary forces under Col. Sir Thos. Fairfax. They were forced to surrender but the hall was accidentally blown up and destroyed.

B. Nuttall, A History of Thornhill, 1970.

Listing NGR: SE2563518920

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Nuttall, B, A History of Thornhill, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SE 25635 18920

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:45:32.

End of official listing