FORMER THORNHILL GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134730

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: FORMER THORNHILL GRAMMAR SCHOOL, 69, COMBS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER THORNHILL GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:51:13.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER THORNHILL GRAMMAR SCHOOL, 69, COMBS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 25148 18887

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEWSBURY CB COMBS ROAD SE 21 NE (Thornhill)

6/31 No. 69 (Former Thornhill Grammar School)

G.V. II

Former grammar school, now disused. Dated 1643. Built with money bequeathed by Charles Greenwood a Rector of Thornhill. The rear part was built as a copy in 1884. Hammer dressed stone (part rendered). Quoins and plinth. Stone slates removed at time of survey. Hollow chamfered gable copings on moulded kneelers with finials. Hollow chamfered eaves on south side, later parapet to north. Each gable end has a 10-light mullion and transomed double chamfered window, that to east with inserted doorway, and a 2-light double chamfered window in each gable apex. Sides are 4 bays long with cross windows, two only on north side where a contemporary house formerly adjoined, both blocked. On south side within the later addition, one window is blocked and there is the original doorway, blocked, with moulded surround, and deep lintel dated 1643. Wide low arched fireplace within, on north side, with moulded surround. Three C19 king-post trusses to roof, though tie-beams may be original.

Listing NGR: SE2517218881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340716

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing