CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134733

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, DAISY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 19:07:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, DAISY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 24413 21715

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEWSBURY CB DAISY HILL SE 2421 NW (Dewsbury)

7/41 30/4/82 Central Methodist Church

G.V. II

Chapel. 1839. Recent internal alterations. Ashlar with rustication to ground floor, rock faced plinth, hammer dressed stone sides. 2 storeys with string course. 5-bay facade, the upper floor being framed in wide flat Tuscan pilasters. Frieze, moulded eaves cornice and blocking course, the centre of which is raised and has the word WESLEYAN in raised capitals. Five round arched 1st floor windows with marginal glazing. Outer ground floor windows the same with apron. Central ground floor window of stained glass and with memorial apron to 1st World War. Symmetrically placed double, panelled doors with semi-circular fanlight. Small flight of stone steps to each. Central tablet reads 'CENTENARY CHAPEL'. 6-bay side elevations with 1st floor windows as before, and square headed ground floor windows all with marginal glazing. To the left, a further 2 bays with hipped roof.

Interior: Formerly to seat 1100. Elliptical gallery on slender cast iron columns, now not in use and ceiling lowered to this level. Original pews in gallery. Later C19 box pews downstairs. Organ gone.

Listing NGR: SE2441321715

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340726

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing