CRUCK BUILDING TO NORTH PART OF CARR FARM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134761

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: CRUCK BUILDING TO NORTH PART OF CARR FARM, UPPER GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRUCK BUILDING TO NORTH PART OF CARR FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 08:12:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CRUCK BUILDING TO NORTH PART OF CARR FARM, UPPER GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Holme Valley

National Grid Reference: SE 16265 06771

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 1606 UPPER GATE 14/363 (Hepworth)

Cruck Building to north part of Carr Farm GV II

Cruck framed building. C17 walling. The cruck framework has been ascribed to the C14 or earlier. Coursed rubble walls. Stone slate roof. Single storey. A long low structure, formerly with central stack, which has later fireplace. Later and altered openings. The north part contains 2 full cruck trusses, of an early type, which cross at the apex and contain the ridge piece. Cruck blades rest on stone footings and have lever holes. Large low tie-beam to each truss support later loft. Collar of southern truss has central arch cut out for doorway. There is also evidence of 'grooving' to take upright stakes. Reported as being the earliest cruck structure in the district. 'Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District', James Walton, 1955.

Listing NGR: SE1626506771

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340591

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Walton, J, Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District, (1955)

End of official listing