This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

12,16, MAGDALE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 12,16, MAGDALE

List entry Number: 1134863

Location

12,16, MAGDALE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Holme Valley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 1312 MAGDALE 9/193 (Honley)

Nos 12 and 16 GV II

Formerly Upper Steps Mill converted to 3 dwellings and now 2 dwellings. Late C18. Hammer dressed stone. Quoins. Stone slate roof, hipped to south (possibly later). Gable copings on moulded kneelers. Moulded stone brackets. Three storeys. No 12 has symmetrical facade (West) of 3 bays, with central door with 2-light windows over and 3-light windows to each side. To south, No 16 was formerly manufacturing, with large carriage entrance to east and west, both part blocked. Large 2-light windows to south side, at ground and first floor level. Two and 3-light stone mullioned window (altered) to second floor. On west side is single storey extension, of later date, of no architectural interest. South elevation has continuous 12-light stone mullioned window at second floor level. Recent single storey extension. North gable to No 12 has central blocked doorway with 2-light window to each side. The first Sunday School in Honley was held here in 1790. Reference and photograph in 'The History of Honley', M A Jagger, 1914.

Listing NGR: SE1399012628

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jagger, Mrs M A , The History of Honley, (1914)

National Grid Reference: SE 13990 12628

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:18:13.

End of official listing