This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NETHERTHONG WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NETHERTHONG WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1134875

Location

NETHERTHONG WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, DEANHOUSE
NETHERTHONG WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, HAIG LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Holme Valley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 1309 HAIG LANE 11/119 (Deanhouse, Holmfirth)

16.1.67 Netherthong Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

II

Chapel now disused. 1769. Hammer dressed stone. Rusticated quoins. String course. Stone slate roof with gable copings on moulded kneelers. Moulded stone brackets. Stone stack to east. Later stack to west. Two storeys, one to north. South elevation: symmetrical facade. Doorways to left and right with 6 fielded panels, and semi-circular fanlights with glazing bars. Two tall slender window with semi-circular heads and glazing bars, keystone and impost blocks. Small central semi-circular motif between windows. At high level are 3 single lights with glazing bars and semi-circular head with keystone and impost blocks. North elevation: single storey, symmetrical facade. Entrance to left and right. Two small single lights with segmental false arch. Two single lights in centre. Interior: no originl feature retained. This was the earliest Methodist Chapel in the Kirklees area. John Wesley preached here in 1772.

Listing NGR: SE1386609888

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 13866 09888

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:15:50.

End of official listing