This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LYDGATE UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LYDGATE UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1134889

Location

LYDGATE UNITARIAN CHAPEL, HOLMFIRTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Holme Valley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340379

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 10 NE HOLMFIRTH ROAD 5/152 (New Mill) 16.1.67 Lydgate Unitarian Chapel GV II

Formerly Presbyterian, now Unitarian chapel. 1695, remodelled 1768. Hammer dressed stone. Quoins. Slate roof with gable copings on carved kneelers. Gable frontage with cupola to apex with ball finial, and supported on 6 hexagonal columns. Central door with round arch with keystone and impost blocks. Small window to each side with similar detailing. Elevation of 3 windows with round arch with keystone and impost blocks and decorative glazing. Two Venetian windows to rear gable wall. Interior said to have early C19 wall memorials one dated 1814. Portion of box pew panelling inscribed John Armitage 1695. Oliver Heywood preached at the opening in 1695. 'Churches and Chapels of Kirklees', A Ronald Bielby, 1978.

Listing NGR: SE1593509145

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bielby, A R, Churches and Chapels of Kirklees, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SE 15935 09145

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:19:10.

End of official listing