Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134974

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1978

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE, 30, LOW HILLS LANE


Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 10:32:43.


Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE, 30, LOW HILLS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 11250 18048


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LOW HILLS LANE 1. 5113 (East Side) Lindley No 30 (Gatehouse) SE 1118 20/40 II 2. 1890's. Architect: Edgar Wood. The gatehouse of a house projected and never built. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Front has 2-centred arch with moulded surrounds and hoodmould, jambs tapering outwards at base: ledged gates with iron art nouveau hinges and handle, wicket and 2 glazed panels with hoodmoulds of art nouveau design. 3-light stone mullioned window with chamfered mullions and surrounds above this, and above both flush-fronted stone gable of eccentric design. To north of gate are 2 small low lights with chamfered surrounds (one bipartite) and above them a mullion and transom cross. One-storey extension to north with single low square light. Front and back walls are continued south a few feet as a deep buttress. Inside archway is door with 4-centred head and moulded surround: ledged door with art nouveau panelling and handle. 3-light stone mullioned window over rear arch, with vertically scored raised panel from hoodmould tinning up to parapet. Tower with pyramidal roof to north of it, with 2-light stone mullioned windows. Shallow canted bay to north of that, with 3-light mullion and transom cross on 1st floor. One range of 2-light stone mullioned windows to north again. One 3-light stone mullioned window in the one-storey extension.

Listing NGR: SE1125018048


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340170

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing