SPA LANE METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135059

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1982

Statutory Address: SPA LANE METHODIST CHURCH, SPA LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPA LANE METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:52:41.

Location

Statutory Address: SPA LANE METHODIST CHURCH, SPA LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Boston Spa

National Grid Reference: SE 43314 45537

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 4245-4345 BOSTON SPA SPA LANE LS23 (west side)

6/87 Spa Lane Methodist 30.4.82 Church

GV II

Methodist church. 1846. By Messrs. Atkinson of York (Scott, p.52). Ashlar magnesian limestone, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with half basement, 3 x 4 bays; short, narrower wing to rear centre. In simple Italianate style. Gabled front with plinth and central steps to a projecting, ashlar sandstone doorcase having panelled double-door in eared architrave beneath stone transom and plain fanlight and with fielded-panel pilasters, archivolt with keystone and peaked cornice. Small round-headed casements to each side have architraves with acroteria. 1st floor: moulded sill band to a stepped 3- light window with margin-glazed casements in round-headed architraves, the central light with an acroterion. Gable barge board. Rear: lower wing has window of 3 round-headed lights under rusticated relieving arch; gable oculus with 'Star of David' glazing bars. Right return: plinth band rises in segmental arches over 4-pane, basement sashes and door on right. Plain casements to ground floor in ashlar surrounds with rusticated, segmental- arched heads. 1st floor: sill band from front forms impost band to round- headed 4-pane sashes under rusticated arches; moulded eaves band. Left return: lean-to addition of 1986, otherwise same. Interior: contemporary fittings with pitch-pine box pews and gallery set on fretted brackets. Semi-octagonal pulpit behind bobbin-turned balustrade; round-arched organ recess to its rear. Queen-post trusses also on fretted brackets and subdivided by struts. Foundation stone laid November 1846; dedicated October 1847; the £1000 building debt finally paid off in 1863 (Scott, p.52). B. M. Scott, Boston Spa, 2nd edition, 1985.

Listing NGR: SE4331445537

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342008

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Scott, BM , Boston Spa, (1985), 52

End of official listing