This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PUBLIC LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1135104

Location

PUBLIC LIBRARY, COMMERCIAL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Morley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE2627NW LS27 COMMERCIAL STREET MORLEY (west side)

8/19 Public Library

II GV Public library. 1905-6. Ashlar facade, hammer-dressed stone to sides and rear, Welsh blue-slate roof. 2-storey front block, single-storey rear range. 6-bay symmetrical facade with lst-floor entablature and dentil cornice. Outer bays set forward slightly have tripartite windows with Ionic outer pilasters and engaged columns as mullions. 1st floor has quoin pilasters with cornice, entablature and open triangular pediment with bracketed cornice above window in eared architrave with triple keystone and segmental pediment. Central 2 bays have portal with Ionic pilasters and columns, entablature supporting segmental pediment, doorway with eared architrave, frieze and triple keystone the tympanum with foliated carved cartouche, and double doors each of 3 raised-and-fielded panels. Doorway flanked by narrow windows in eared architraves with triple keystones. Windows above articulated by Ionic pilasters. Bracketed cornice and balustraded parapet. Hipped roof to front 2 bays. Rear: attached single-storey block has 5 bays of plain rectangular windows with chamfered lintels and sills. Gutter brackets and coped gable with ridge stack.

Interior: tiled entrance hall with mosaic floor has Ionic pilasters flanking wall plaque recording "THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED THROUGH THE GENEROSITY OF ANDREW CARNEGIE Esq. : : : OF SKIBO CASTLE, SCOTLAND 1905-6: AND OPENED BY HALL CAINE Esq. 27th Oct. 1906".

Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SE2639527874

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 26395 27874

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:51:38.

End of official listing