MORLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135105

Date first listed: 14-May-1973

Statutory Address: MORLEY HALL, DAWSON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 05:05:20.

Location

Statutory Address: MORLEY HALL, DAWSON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Morley

National Grid Reference: SE 26225 28114

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE2628 SW LS27 DAWSON HILL MORLEY 7/20 Morley Hall 14.5.73 GV II

House. Dated 1683 but mainly with early C19 fenestration and with later C19 alterations and additions to rear. Large well-coursed dressed stone, Welsh blue-slate roof. 2 storeys. Appears originally to have been of 3-room plan with hall-and-crosswing and gable-entry doorway dated 1683. 1st cell has added full height canted bay with band and embattled parapet and 15-pane sash with plain-stone surround to each face and floor. Central cell has semicircular-arched stairwindow with voussoirs and raised keystone to left of doorway in shallow porch with monolithic jambs and lintel and cyma-moulded cornice and sash window above. Right wing breaks forward slightly and has quoins and canted bay-window with small-paned sash to each face, cornice and blocking course. 2 sash windows above. Coped gable with kneelers and one ball finial. Coped gable to left. Lateral stack (brick) to rear of 1st cell, ashlar ridge-stack at junction with wing. Large lateral stack to right-hand return of wing. Left-hand return has C17 doorway with composite jambs dated lintel and cyma-moulded surround to left of single sash to 1st cell with same above. To left of door long added range at right angles to front range has 2 projecting full height rectangular bays with mullioned windows and embattled parapet. Coped gables, one ridge stack to this range.

Attached to front is plaque inscribed:

" Built in 1683 by Thomas Dawson whose Grand-Daughter married Lord Loughborough (Lord Chancellor of England) The residence of Oliver and Alice Scatcherd from 1884-1906. "

Formerly the home of Sir William Overend Priestley (1829-1900) the distinguished physician.

Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE2622528114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 341810

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing