CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE WOOD (CONGREGATIONAL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135116

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1982

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE WOOD (CONGREGATIONAL), TROY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE WOOD (CONGREGATIONAL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:54:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE WOOD (CONGREGATIONAL), TROY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Morley

National Grid Reference: SE2638028012

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE2628SW LS27 TROY ROAD MORLEY (east side) 7/47 30.4.82 CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE WOOD Congregational Church

GV II

Congregational Church. 1878 by Lockwood and Mawson. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings, Welsh blue-slate roof. Cruciform. Aisleless nave, transepts, shallow east end, tall south-west corner tower. Gothic Revival simple Early English style. 4-stage tower with angle buttresses which rise to form octagonal corner turrets flanking pedimented gable with clock set between which hides base of broached stone spire. 2-light shafted bell stage openings. West end of nave has shafted paired doorways recessed for one order with rich foliate carving and large naturalistic rose to tympanum. West window has 4 cusped lights with cinquefoils over 2 pairs and one to apex. 3-bay nave articulated by offset buttresses has 3-light window to ground floor with trefoil-headed lights and gallery with arched lights. 2nd bay has gabled dormer with larger 3-light window with quatrefoil to apex. Attached to 1st bay of north elevation projecting canted corner bay. Tall gabled transepts with tall 3-light windows to light gallery, diagonal buttresses. West window has 4 trefoil-headed lights surmounted by large rose window.

Interior: gallery to 3 sides, supported on cast-iron Doric columns, with tiered pitch-pine box pews. Columns continue to support arch-braced roof with braced wall ties supported on stone corbels. Chancel arch springs from short marble columns. Elaborate carved pulpit has panels decorated with Perpendicular tracery. Choir-stalls with poppy-heads. Large Royal Coat-of-Arms dated 1664 painted on wood panels from earlier church on this site. Site of Presbyterian church during the Commonwealth and Congregationalist from C1800.

Listing NGR: SE2638028012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 341837

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing