This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1135142

Location

LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467330

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY7083 CHURCH ROAD, Preston 873-1/9/465 (South side) Lych gate to Church of St Andrew

GV II

Lych gate. 1911 (RCHME). Ashlar plinth, timber frame, tile roof. Square plan, with plinth walls to chamfered top and plain tile sill carrying a moulded plate; the sides have a flat segmental arch with central drop above a transom on 4 vertical rails, and the returned ends have a narrow bay each side to a pointed arch, with an arch-braced centre bay. Timbers generally are chamfered and stopped. The front has a low pair of C20 gates. The hipped gambrel roof with small open gablets to N and S has diagonal struts to the hip rafters, and is boarded below the tiles. A short wooden bench each side. A tablet to the front records a restoration of 1950. This is of interest architecturally, but also historically because it incorporates timbers rescued from the C15 Court House at Sutton Poyntz, formerly located opposite Sutton Mill (qv), and destroyed by fire in 1908. (RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 362).



Listing NGR: SY7057783004

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 362

National Grid Reference: SY 70577 83004

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:16:41.

End of official listing