CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135148

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHNS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 07:18:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHNS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85281 64677

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564NW ST JOHN'S STREET 639-1/3/616 (East side) 07/08/52 Church of St John

GV II*

Parish church. 1841. By William Ranger (c.1800-1863); east end remodelled 1875 by J Drayton Wyatt. White brick with red brick to the interior of the high entrance porch within the base of the tower. Early English style. PLAN: nave and chancel; north and south aisles, west tower with spire and entry. EXTERIOR: the tower is in 2 stepped stages, both with steeply pointed turrets and flying buttresses, topped by a high octagonal brick spire. The entrance porch in the lowest stage has 3 high pointed-arched openings and a recessed doorway. The clerestory to the nave has 3 stepped lancet windows to each bay. The north and south aisles have the bays delimited by stepped buttresses; 2 pointed windows in each bay. INTERIOR: nave and chancel continuous. Arcades in 7 bays with slender supporting columns; vaulted timber roof. A blank arcade at the east end and 3 lancet windows. An ornate marble font has a cover in Jacobean style. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 145).





Listing NGR: TL8528164677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467336

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 145

End of official listing