This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF AISLE WINDOW TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF AISLE WINDOW TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1135151

Location

GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF AISLE WINDOW TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467339

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY78SW CHURCH ROAD, Preston 873-1/3/470 (South side) Group of 5 monuments approx 10m S of aisle W window to Church of St Andrew

GV II

5 headstones. Early to mid C18, dated variously from 1756 to 1770. The stones are grouped in 2 pairs, separated by approx 2m N/S, and a single monument approx 2m to the E, between the pairs. From N to S they are: (i) Early C18, unidentified, the inscriptions not legible. There are 3 good carved cherub heads under a shaped top, above a flush panel; (ii) Immediately S of the last. C18, with shaped head to scrolls. Carved skull, trumpet and torch, above a flush panel with no legible inscription; (iii) approx 2m S of the last. To Richard Lewis, d.1761. Shaped top with scrolls above carved book and other symbols including an angel; (iv) Immediately S of the last. A very wide headstone, with shaped top, and with inscriptions covering most of the surface, starting very close to the top. The earliest decipherable memorial is to Joseph Wallis, d.1770; (v) approx 2m E from and centred to the previous pairs, a small headstone to Richard Johnson, d.1756. Shaped top.









Listing NGR: SY7058782945

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 70587 82945

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:00:20.

End of official listing