This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1135152



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467340

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL8564NW ST JOHN'S STREET 639-1/3/618 (East side) St John's Hall


St John's Infant School, now used as a hall for St John's Church (qv). 1842, with later extensions. By William Ranger (1800-1863). In white brick with stone dressings; slate roofs with ornate red ridge tiles. EXTERIOR: single storey, with the interior open to the roof; designed in a version of Victorian Early English style; irregular form. All the original windows are narrow, single-light and pointed-headed with arched stone hood-moulds, except on the west gable, where a 3-light window has a heavy version of plate tracery, with a 4-centred hood-mould over and a circular window in the same style in the apex of the gable. On the left, an entrance within an ornate gabled porch. A rear range, facing west, has flat pilasters between the windows and a gabled porch with an ornate stone doorway, 3 windows above it and one at each side at a lower level. On the south side are 2 similar, but not identical gables, that on the south west part of a later range which infills the angle between the original south and west ranges. This has 3 lancet-type windows in the gable end and a circular window with radiating glazing-bars in the apex; along the west side are paired lancets and a brick dentil cornice. INTERIOR: contains its original pointed doors and doorways; open timber roofs survive in part of the building.

Listing NGR: TL8526164652

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85261 64652


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:56:36.

End of official listing