This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1135171

Location

THE VICARAGE, 7, ST MARYS SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NE ST MARY'S SQUARE 639-1/11/627 (East side) 07/08/52 No.7 The Vicarage

GV II

House, later the vicarage to St Mary's Church, Crown Street (qv). c1804, when the house figures in the Rate Books for the first time. Probably by Francis Sandys, to whom the house belonged until at least 1816. Red brick; shallow-pitched slate roof with a parapet and moulded brick dentil cornice. 4 gable-end chimney-stacks with plain rectangular shafts. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar; 3 window range: all tripartite sashes with segmental heads in shallow reveals with flat gauged arches, the central windows on the ground and 1st storeys 12-pane and on the 2nd storey 6-pane. A central doorway with a plain rectangular fanlight has a heavy projecting Tuscan porch with plain columns. INTERIOR: cellar not inspected. Plain interior. Ground storey rooms have reeded plaster cornices; the principal rear room has a fine canted bay window with 3 full-length sash windows and internal shutters with moulded sunk panels. An original fireplace surround has fluted columns and a series of small ornate medallions across the architrave. The stair, with stick balusters and a ramped and wreathed handrail, has a balustrade along the landing. In the front attic the room to the south of the entry has one cross wall rendered and lined to simulate stone; slight changes in the outer brickwork in the same area suggest the possibility that this was initially an outside wall and that the house was extended later.





Listing NGR: TL8581163805

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85811 63805

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 07:12:49.

End of official listing