This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TELEGRAM PRINTING WORKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TELEGRAM PRINTING WORKS

List entry Number: 1135199

Location

TELEGRAM PRINTING WORKS, CAROLINE PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6779SE CAROLINE PLACE 873-1/20/41 (South side) 14/06/74 Telegram Printing Works

II

Nonconformist chapel, now small industrial unit. Dated 1839. Flemish bond brickwork, cream stone dressings, some Portland ashlar, slate roof. PLAN: a small building compressed between later commercial buildings, slightly set back from them; the front only accessible. EXTERIOR: a central raised section with pediment, and pedimented porch, is brought forward from lower wings with swept parapets. The centre has a stone panel with shield and date (1839 or 1859), over small paired lights with moulded stone arches on responds and a central mullion; the 2 outer respond capitals and the keystones have been removed. Below this is the projecting square porch in rusticated ashlar which is carried also across the centre bay. A pair of panelled doors has a drafted margin to the stonework, and the closed pediment has an ovolo-mould cornice. To each side is a large 12-pane sash with radial bars in moulded stone arches with a keystone and respond capitals, but brick jambs. A small plinth, a mid sill band, ovolo-mould parapet and cornice, and bold V-joint rusticated stone quoins. At either end are stone quadrant acroteria with carved stylised leaf ornament. INTERIOR: not inspected. When built, the chapel was in the context of modest terrace houses, which have either been removed or substantially modified; its dignified frontage remains as a reminder of that time. At time of survey the building appeared to be used as a store.





Listing NGR: SY6786979167

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 67869 79167

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:42:04.

End of official listing