This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1135236

Location

THE OLD HALL, 15 AND 17, KIRKGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Otley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341440

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Kirkgate 1. 1480 (West Side) Nos 15 and 17 (The Old Hall) SE 2045 1/34 30.7.51. II* GV 2. Formerly a very dignified dwelling house of three storeys. Its ground floor front is now till converted to shops, but above these it still retains an uncommon and handsome elevation. Its pediments and short balustrade over central part suggest a date of C18, but it may be as early as 1690). First floor has five windows in the width; the central one is slightly projecting, has semi-circular head, the head and jambs all moulded, Other four windows have architraves and pediments, two being triangular end two segmental. These four windows have formerly been divided into four lights each by cross transom mullions but these have been removed and sash frames inserted. Second floor has five windows in the width; the central one is corbelled out in oriel fashion forming a bay of eight lights divided by mullions and one transom. Two windows at each side with moulded jambs end heads in original state, retaining cross transom mullions dividing each window into four lights. There is a well-moulded eaves cornice with plain parapet, but over the central window the parapet is a balustrade. This balustrade and the millions and transom of the central window appear to have been renewed in wood. Windows at the rear are of same character as those at the front. Built of millstone grit and stone slated. Two stone stacks at gable end.

Nos 11 to 25 (odd) form a group.

Listing NGR: SE2017145509

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 20171 45508

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:02:35.

End of official listing