MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135260

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1974

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CLAPGATE

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, MANOR SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:38:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CLAPGATE

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, MANOR SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Otley

National Grid Reference: SE 20143 45675

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Clapgate 1. 1480 (North Side) Manor House (also known as Clitherow House) SE 2045 1/20 30.7.51. II GV

2. Said to be 1792, and possibly by John Carr of York. In the vicinity of the mediaeval house of the Archbishops of York. Ashlar stone front, blue slated. The main and original part is of three stories but the upper one has been added above the former moulded eaves cornice and plain parapet. Plain string courses include the window cills of ground floor and first floor storeys. Glazing bars to top floor only. At each side of this central block a wing of two storeys has been added later, each one terminating with a niche surmounted by a stone vase. Later the Eastern wing has been removed. North side of the house has Diocletian and Venetian windows and a modern bow. Front has glazed porch with columns. Interior:- good principal rooms with original features such as as fireplaces, doors, plasterwork and panelling. Attractive stair rail. In poor condition at time of survey. Excavations in grounds show apsidal chapel of C12 and buildings of Cl4

Manor House, outbuildings and walls form a group.

Listing NGR: SE2014345675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 341404

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing