This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DENBY DALE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DENBY DALE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1135295

Location

DENBY DALE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, CUMBERWORTH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Denby Dale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341296

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 20 NW CUMBERWORTH LANE Denby Dale 4/27 Denby Dale Wesleyan Methodist Church 30/4/82 II Wesleyan Methodist Church. Built 1799 and enlarged 1859. Circa 1900 refurbishment. Hammer dressed stone. Stone slate roof. Two storeys. 5-bay pediment gabled front. Tablet in tympanum reads: WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL BUILT AD 1799 ENLARGED AD 1859

3-bay arcaded ashlar applied doorcase, probably of 1859, with Corinthian pilasters, paired to corners, full entablature and blocking course. Shallow steps to two round-arched doorways with double, fielded panel doors. Central window. Round-arched windows with square jambs and good c.1900 stained and leaded glass. 3-bay sides have straight joint indicating the 1859 one-bay addition to rear. Later apsidal end.

Interior: Refurbished in 1978. Church now at gallery level with raking pine pews. Plaster mouldings to ceiling with elaborate cornice and centre rose. Hall at lower level.

Listing NGR: SE2278908622

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 22789 08622

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:44:09.

End of official listing