This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List entry Number: 1135306

Location

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, RADCLIFFE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Denby Dale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341325

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 21 SW RADCLIFFE STREET Skelmanthorpe 1/53 Church of St. Aidan

II

Church. 1894-5 by G. F. Bodley and T. Garner, in Late Gothic style. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Brick south wall. Pitched slate roof with small gabled bell-cote. 5-bay nave with 4-bay pitched- roofed north aisle of similar proportions. 3-bay chancel, with vestry on south side. Gabled north porch on western bay of nave. One 3-light and two 2-light traceried chancel windows. Paired lancets to aisle, with trefoil in head. Two 3-light traceried west windows, to nave. 3-light traceried east window. Wheel window to south side of chancel and to porch.

Interior: 4-bay arcade, between nave and aisle, on octagonal piers. Similar 5-bay arcade along south wall of nave. Good, carved oak commemorative reredos of c.1917 at east end of aisle. Commemorative stained glass east window (1891). Square, late Anglo-Saxon or early Norman font (Pevsner) on C19 or C20 pedestal. (Font said to have come from High Hoyland.) 3 interlaced arches on 2 sides. 2 panels on a 3rd side, and on the 4th side 4 panels with scrolls and foliage, two of which have figure heads at the top. Lead lined. Vaulted wood ceiling to aisle and chancel. Arched braced collar roof to nave. Wooden block floor to seating area. Small, simple chairs for pews.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE2293610439

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 22936 10439

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:44:06.

End of official listing