This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List entry Number: 1135311

Location

CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, WAKEFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Denby Dale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 21 SW WAKEFIELD ROAD (North side) 1/64 Scissett

Church of St. Augustine

II

Church. 1839 by Richardson. Apsed chancel of 1881. South porch 1935. Hammer dressed stone with diagonal ashlar buttresses and ashlar dressings. Low pitched slate nave roof behind tall parapets. Steeper slate roofs to chancel and vestries. 5-bay nave with tall lancets with deep, chamfered reveals and hood moulds. One on south side part covered by the gabled porch. 4-stage, square west tower with part blocked west door under deep hood mould. Blocked lancets to 2nd tier. Triple group of lancets to bell-chamber. Octagonal piers which have lost their pinnacles. Round stair tower on north side of tower. 3-sided apsidal chancel with 2-light windows with plate tracery. Vestry on south side is diagonally set.

Interior: 10-panel plaster ceiling to nave. Scissor braced chancel roof. Raking west gallery on 2 cast iron columns. The gallery front has a series of arched sunken panels. Iron chancel screen of 1910 with delicate scrolled foliage design. Tall, moulded chancel arch on round responds. Choir stalls and organ in chancel. Oak pulpit, on clustered pedestal, with traceried sides. Stained glass of late C19 and early C20 including 3 east windows, to members of the Norton family, of 1881. Gothic monument to Joseph Norton (d.1874).

A. R. Bielby, Churches & Chapels of Kirklees, 1978. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE2484010422

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bielby, A R, Churches and Chapels of Kirklees, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 24840 10422

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135311 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:54:44.

End of official listing