CRUCK BARN ADJOINING AND TO NORTH OF NETHER END FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135327

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: CRUCK BARN ADJOINING AND TO NORTH OF NETHER END FARMHOUSE, BARNSLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRUCK BARN ADJOINING AND TO NORTH OF NETHER END FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:12:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CRUCK BARN ADJOINING AND TO NORTH OF NETHER END FARMHOUSE, BARNSLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Denby Dale

National Grid Reference: SE2465107863

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 20 NW BARNSLEY ROAD (South side) 4/10 Nether End

Cruck barn adjoining and to north of, Nether End Farmhouse

G.V. II*

Cruck framed barn. C16 or early C17 with cladding dated 1663 on north gable. Coursed rubble and some hammer dressed stone. Stone slate roof. 4 bays. Square headed cart entry in 2nd bay from left. 2 later windows to right. Triangular ventilation holes to north gable and dated lintel to opening in apex.

Interior: 4 complete cruck trusses, one of which is partly encased in the north gable wall. Extended tie-beams supporting wall plates. Single purlin to each pitch. Collars. Blades meet at apex to take diagonally set ridge, part replaced. Wind bracing, of reversed curve type, between blades and purlins. Some later rafters.

J. Walton, Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District, 1955. N.W. Alcock, A Catalogue of Cruck Buildings, 1973.

Listing NGR: SE2465107863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 341276

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Walton, J, Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield District, (1955)
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981)

End of official listing