CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1135330
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CUMBERWORTH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135330.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:32:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CUMBERWORTH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Denby Dale
National Grid Reference:
SE 21118 08823

Details

In the entry for the following:

SE 20 NW CHURCH LANE Upper Cumberworth

4/18 Church of St Nicholas GV II

The address shall be amended to read: CUMBERWORTH LANE Upper Cumberworth

Church of St Nicholas

------------------------------------

SE 20 NW CHURCH LANE Upper Cumberworth 4/18 Church of St. Nicholas

G.V. II

Church. 1876. Gothic Revival. Lower stage of tower may be C18. Finely dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with gable copings. Two-stage square west tower, 4-bay nave with gabled south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry on north side. Diagonal buttresses to west tower applied to the quoins of the earlier lower stage. On the south side of the tower is a small, blind, round arched window with inscribed lintel 1767. Below is a small ogee-headed window. At base of tower, on south side, is a small, recent addition. The upper stage of the tower has large 2-light bell-chamber openings, louvred, and with reticulated tracery. Slated pyramidal roof, with moulded gutter on moulded brackets. Iron weather cock. 2-light nave windows, single light chancel windows and 3-light east window, all with traceried heads.

Interior: arched-braced king-post nave roof. Scissor-braced truss to chancel. Font, probably C17 with octagonal bowl and pedestal. The faces of the bowl have paired, traceried panels, and of the pedestal single traceried panels. Colourful stained glass to east window of 1879. Chancel windows on south side have good stained glass of 1938 and 1939 by William Morris and Co., Westminster, the latter signed.

Listing NGR: SE2111808823

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341285
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].