SHEPLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135346

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1984

Statutory Address: SHEPLEY HALL, 30 AND 32, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEPLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135346 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:50:26.

Location

Statutory Address: SHEPLEY HALL, 30 AND 32, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Kirkburton

National Grid Reference: SE 19377 09885

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 10 NE STATION ROAD Shepley 8/103 No. 30 (Shepley Hall) 23rd June 1965 & No. 32 (Formerly listed as No 20- G.V. II 30(Range of Cottages next to Shepley Old Hall))

House, now divided. Dated 1608 but with C19 and recent alterations. Thinly coursed rubble with quoins. Stone slate roof. Two storeys. Hollow chamfered gable copings on cut kneelers to porch. Double pile plan with 2-gabled front with near-central projecting 2-storey porch which has wide entrance with deep, arched lintel with raised letters: "ANNO DOMINI 1608 RH EH" and also possible builders' marks. 1st floor of porch has 8-light mullioned and transomed, double chamfered window. The right gable has one 2-light window to ground floor and one 3-light window to 1st floor, both double chamfered and with hood mould. Altered windows to its right side. The left part (No. 32) has been rendered. Windows to its left side appear to be C19. The gable has a C19 or C20 projecting stack which partly obscures a former 4-light window and a 3-light window. Attached to the rear of No. 30 is a range of formerly 3 early C19 cottages, now part of No. 30, altered to the front, but with 3-light windows to rear at 1st floor level and entrance and one 4-light window to ground floor. Right hand end has been altered.

Interior: No. 32 has good original plaster frieze of affronted mermaids. The ceiling is divided by a partition but has mouldings with circles with central motif and squares with Tudor rose. Also fleur-de-lys and date 1609. The centre part has gone.

The house was built on the site of an earlier house by Robert Hepworth.

H. J. Morehouse, The History of Kirkburton & the Graveship of Holme, 1861.

Listing NGR: SE1937709885

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 341218

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moorhouse, H J , The History of Kirkburton and the Graveship of Holme, (1861)

End of official listing