CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1135359
Date first listed:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, GREEN BALK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135359.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:14:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, GREEN BALK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Kirkburton
National Grid Reference:
SE 19984 15093

Details

SE 11 NE GREEN BALK LANE SE 21 NW Lepton 2/36 Church of St. John the Evangelist

G,V. II

Gothic Revival church in Early English style. 1866-8 by T. H. & F. Healey of Bradford. The tower was added in 1876. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. 4-bay buttressed nave with lean-to south aisle. 2-bay chancel with squat buttresses with offsets. Lean-to vestry and organ chamber to chancel south wall. Large south- west 3-tier square tower with south doorway, paired tiny lights and clock face to 2nd tier, and paired, louvred bell-chamber openings with central colonnette. Crenellated parapet and mock machicolation. 4-light east window with plate tracery, with 2 trefoils and one cinquefoil in head. 8-foiled windows to sides of chancel. Nave and aisle windows are of 2, 3 and 4 lights with plate tracery most with a trefoil in head, one with a quatrefoil and one with a cinquefoil. Two lancets in west wall with 6-foil in apex.

Inferior: 4-bay south arcade, with massive arches on squat, apparently undersized, columns. Panelled oak chancel and reredos. Well carved oak chancel screen. Carved stone font. Recent partitioning of west end of nave. Arched braced hammer-beam roof trusses, with turned king posts.

The tower formerly had a squat, square, slated spire.

Listing NGR: SE1998415093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341151
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/01639/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A W Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].