This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF EMMANUEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF EMMANUEL

List entry Number: 1135365

Location

CHURCH OF EMMANUEL, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Kirkburton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 341163

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 21 SW HUDDERSFIELD ROAD Shelley 6/49 Church of Emmanuel

II

Gothic Revival church. 1868. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and quoins. Pitched slate roof. Nave, 3 bays to north, south aisle of 4 bays. 2-bay chancel. Square 3-tier tower in south-west corner. The tower has angle buttresses, and the entrance is on the south side with deep, moulded surround. 2-light deeply chamfered bell-chamber openings with traceried heads. Clock face to 3 sides. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Squat, pyramidal slated spire. Nave windows, north side, are 3-light with intersecting tracery with 2 quatrefoils and one trefoil in head. Aisle windows are 2-light with tracery. Rose window at east end of aisle. East window is 3-light with traceried head. Large west window is 4-light with Curvilinear tracery.

Interior: 4-bay arcade to south on quatrefoil piers. Chancel arch on paired red granite colonnettes on corbel brackets. Arched braced hammer beam roof. 'Tulip' type font of 1868 with tall, carved oak, counterbalanced cover of 1894.

Listing NGR: SE2119011298

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 21190 11298

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:14:18.

End of official listing