QUEEN'S HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135418

Date first listed: 15-Jan-1976

Statutory Address: QUEEN'S HOTEL, PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUEEN'S HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 20:42:47.

Location

Statutory Address: QUEEN'S HOTEL, PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 45051 22028

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PONTEFRACT PARK ROAD SE 45 SE (south-west side) 3/50 Queen's Hotel 15.1.76

GV II

Hotel. 1898-1901. For Pickersgills' Brewery of Pontefract. Red brick in English bond with yellow terracotta dressings and Westmorland slate roofs. 3 storeys with cellar and attics, 1:3:1:3:1 bays. End bays project as canted turrets, and centre bay forms canted projection. Plinth. Ground floor: all of terracott; in 4th and 6th bays, round-arched openings with recessed leaved panelled doors below fanlights with Art Nouveau glazing; 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th bays have round-arched windows with etched plate glass below transom, all round- arched openings having raised keystones and alternate voussoirs; windows have sill bands and imposts which line through with the straight-headed windows in canted bays, which have transoms and joggled voussoirs to lintels, also cornices above. First floor: end and centre canted bays as on ground floor, except with balcony and pediment in centre; other bays have cemented apron where balconies originally were which rested on existing corbels; cross windows with sashes; cornice. Second floor: in each bay, paired round-arched sash windows, except for single sashes with keystones to outer turrets, and flat-headed windows to centre canted bay. End turrets have spirelets; centrepiece has Dutch gable with three round-arched sash windows, in front of pyramidal roof with railings around apex. Steep roof to main range has 2 dormer windows, above parapet with hotel name. Corniced multiple-flue stacks to ends and on ridge to right of centre purlins. Rear: much plainer and of irregular plan. Left return: 1:2 bays. Right return: 3 bays similar to front. Interior: the period fittings survive alomost intact, and there is a staircase with good cast-iron balusters. Built to accommodate patrons of Pontefract Racecourse who arrived at the nearby Tanshelf railway station, now demolished.

Listing NGR: SE4505122028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342689

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing