This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARKET CROSS AND ATTACHED PUMP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARKET CROSS AND ATTACHED PUMP

List entry Number: 1135455

Location

MARKET CROSS AND ATTACHED PUMP, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Nov-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342668

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PONTEFRACT MARKET PLACE SE 4521 NE 8/29 Market Cross and attached pump (formerly listed as 29.7.50 Market Cross)

GV II*

Market building with attached pump. 1734, built for Elizabeth Dupier; mid-C18 pump. Ashlar with stone slate roof. Rectangular on plan, tall single storey, 3 x 1 bays. Building rests on a shallow podium and has a raised floor. Plinth. Rusticated stonework below impost level of main openings. End elevations have tall central semi-circular-headed arch with moulded archivolt, raised keystone and wide impost band flanked by low semi-circular-headed arches with radiating rusticated voussoirs and large impost blocks. Above the impost band to either side of central arch are semi-circular-headed niches with moulded sills, pilastered jambs and keyed archi- jambs and keyed archi- volts. Between them to south-east side is a plaque in moulded surround inscribed 'Erected by Mrs Elizabeth Dupeer, Relict of Solomon Dupeer, Gent, in a cheerful and generous compliance with his benevolent intention. Ano Domi 1734'. Wide moulded cornice. Hipped roof. Main side elevations have 3 tall semi-circular-headed arches, similar to central arch of end elevations, plus similar cornice above. Interior of arches are similarly treated, walls and ceiling are plastered and the floor is flagged. To centre is an original long plank bench on paired turned wooden legs. Pump attached to south-west side of the building has lead casing with raised foliage decoration, now mostly obscured by later wooden casing. Originally the building had a flat roof and a. stone balustrade, replaced by the present pitched roof in 1763. D Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978), p. 313.

Listing NGR: SE4555521870

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 313

National Grid Reference: SE 45555 21870

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 12:47:30.

End of official listing