This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1135461

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PONTEFRACT MARKET PLACE SE 4521 NE (north-west side) 8/48 29.7.50 Church of St Giles

GV II*

Church. Chapel rebuilt in the early C18, with mid C18 and late C18 alterations, also addition of 1869. Ashlar gritstone and coursed sandstone, graduated stone slate and lead roofs. Nave and chancel under 1 roof, with continuous north and south aisles, west tower, added sanctuary. South aisle: remodelled before 1742; plinth, chamfered rusticated quoins; 7 bays of round-arched windows with continuous -impost band and Gibbs surrounds with projecting voussoirs to arches, which have tripartite keystones; windows have 3 lights, with tracery of 2 quatrefoils above; first and last bays have inserted leaved panelled doors below upper part of tracery; cornice, pedimented sundial flanked by ball finials above door; flat lead roof; round-arched west window has keyed architrave with Tuscan capitals. Tower: rebuilt late C18; 3 stages; ground floor has chamfered rusticated quoins to west corners; south doorway with leaved doors of 6 fielded panels below fanlight with lobate tracery in round-arched opening within pedimented Doric doorcase; plaque above, cornice; second stage has string, oculus with plate tracery of 5 trefoils in keyed architrave; band; third stage has louvred round-arched opening with sill band, impost band, architrave to arch with tripartite keystone;cornice. Octagon with urns at broaches, side facets rusticated, clock faces to south- and north, cornice; cupola has round-arched openings with balustraded panels below sill band, keyed architraves and impost band; modillion cornice; open crown of slightly-curving ribs rising from balustraded parapet with urn finials, and with urn finial at apex. West side of tower has ground-floor round-arched window with quatrefoil tracery and continuous architrave interrupted by flush voussoirs and tripartite keystone; first-floor window as south; no clock. North side as west but with clock on octagon. North aisle, of coursed stone, has ashlar plinth, chamfered rusticated quoins, and round-arched windows with quatre- foil. tracery, ashlar surrounds with keyed archivolts; the western bay has below the window a door of 6 fielded panels below an overlight in an ashlar surround with cornice; two eastern bays, probably of a different build, have higher sills and transoms; western window as others but shorter and without architrave; flat lead roof. Nave has clerestorey only to north; renewed ashlar; 5 chamfered straight-headed windows; added easternmost double-bay has depressed segmental arch; nave has pitched roof. Sanctuary, added in 1869, has north oculus with plate tracery and sleeper ptiched roof, coping and gable cross; east window pointed and with plate tracery above which, in gable, is a round-arched window with plate tracery. Interior: original west entrance below tower has round-arched doorway with leaved part-glazed doors, opening into vestibule below western gallery, with two flanking straight flights of stairs with symmetrically-turned balusters. Pointed-arched doorway from vestibule to nave, and lesser doors to aisles. Nave has c.1300-style stuccoed 5-bay north arcade with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and pointed arches with two quadrant mouldings; organ below eastern segmental arch. C18 6-bay south arcade has Doric colums with lion masks on tall. bases and pointed arches reaching to roof, and wider segmental-arched 7th bay. Pointed arch to sanctuary, with stone reredos, and east window of 1879 by C E Kempe. West wall, above gallery, has unglazed window matching those in south side, and George I Coat of Arms flanked by two large monuments. Derek Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978).

Listing NGR: SE4555021898

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SE 45550 21898

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135461 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:09:36.

End of official listing