CHURCH IN BRETTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135462

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1990

Statutory Address: CHURCH IN BRETTON PARK, PARK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH IN BRETTON PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:05:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH IN BRETTON PARK, PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: West Bretton

National Grid Reference: SE 28952 12896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE21SE WEST BRETTON PARK ROAD (south side, off)

8/91 Church in Bretton Park 22.11.66

GV II*

Church. 1744 by Sir William Wentworth, for his own estate. Ashlar. Stone slate roof. 5-bay nave and chancel with 2-bay addition to north containing the organ. In Classical style. The 3 bays of the symmetrical west front are framed and separated by giant Tuscan pilasters with exaggerated entasis. They support a moulded band beneath the pediment. Blind central doorway with moulded architrave and cornice on console brackets. Niche to each side. Small 1st-floor sash windows of 6, 8 and 6 lights. Round-arched window in tympanum of pediment. Cylindrical bell chamber, on a broad square base, with a domed top. Round, louvred openings. The south side is symmetrical with a doorway to left and right (the latter blind) each with moulded architrave and cornice and blind panel above. Three 24-pane fixed lights. Plinth, sill band, moulded band at high level and moulded eaves cornice. The east front has a large well-detailed and proportioned Tuscan Venetian window. Along the base is a series of 10 marble memorial tablets to members of the Wentworth and Beaumont families including:

Thomas Richard Beaumont d.July 31st 1829 aged 72 Diana Beaumont d.Aug 10th 1831 aged 67 Thomas Blackett Beaumont d.July 10th 1792 aged 67 Sir William Wentworth Bart. d.March 1st 1763 aged 77 Wentworth Blacket Beaumont (1st Baron Allendale) b.1829 d.13th Feb 1907

Interior: plain. Small gallery at rear with wooden panelled front, with 3 round-arched openings to each floor. Panelled dado. Bracketed ceiling cornice. Tall, straight-backed, panelled pews. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England. 1967. D. Linstrum. West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture. 1978 Bretton College Archive.

Listing NGR: SE2895212896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342587

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

End of official listing