This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHIMNEY AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHIMNEY AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY

List entry Number: 1135481

Location

CHIMNEY AND ATTACHED BOILER HOUSE AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Sitlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE21NE SITLINGTON NEW ROAD (north side), Middlestown

6/41 Chimney and attached - boiler house at Caphouse Colliery.

GV II

Chimney and attached boiler house. Probably circa 1876. Stone chimney with later brick upper section. Later brick boiler house with asbestos roof. The square chimney tapers but the upper section is straight-sided and is supported by iron straps. The boiler house is on 2 levels and contains 2 cylindrical Lancashire boilers encased in brickwork. A later hopper feed and chain-grate system has been added at the opposite end to the chimney. The boilers powered the winding engine immediately to the south (q.v.). The mine was owned at that time by the Lister Kaye family of Denby Grange but was declared bankrupt in 1914, and a new company took over in 1917.

Listing NGR: SE2535816472

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 25358 16472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:22:20.

End of official listing