CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1135489
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ABERFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:15:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ABERFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 34963 24246

Details

SE32SE STANLEY ABERFORD ROAD (west side)

4/50 Church of St. Peter 11 July 1961

- II

Church. 1821-4 by Peter Atkinson Junior, rebuilt 1911-13 (apart from the west end) by W. D. Carbe of London. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Twin west towers, 6 bay nave with lean-to 6-bay aisles, 2-bay chancel with later vestry to south. The broad west front is flanked by 2 tall 4-stage octagonal towers. The 3rd stages have short lancets and the upper stages form an open belfry with Perpendicular openings, gargoyles, pierced parapets and pinnacles. Central arched door with flanking 3-light windows. Above is a large 5-light window with Perpendicular panel tracery, flanked by tall, very slender, 2-light windows. Nave: buttressed aisles, each bay gabled and with large 3-light window with Decorated tracery of different designs in the heads; 2-light square-headed clerestory windows; the +-bays at the west end, north and south, have very slender 2-light windows and rise above the aisles as short square towers. Tall 2-light chancel windows. The east end, flanked by broad angle buttresses which support a low arch. Two intermediate buttresses frame and separate a central 3-light window and 2 lower 2-light windows with Decorated tracery. Below is a passage leading to the crypt. Interior: tall nave with 6-bay arcade on slender filleted columns which rise through the clerestory and carry the wall posts of the arched-braced roof trusses. The south chapel has been separated to form a smaller chapel. Aisle roofs have wooden transverse vaulting. Wooden, vaulted, chancel roof with well-carved frieze. Carved stone font with excellent tall oak cover of 1916 carved with pierced panels and Decorated tracery with a crocketed spire. Excellent choir stalls with misericords whose superb carvings depict "The Creation", 1924 by H. P. Jackson of Northowram. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967. K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage, 1975 (Wakefield EAHY Committee).

Listing NGR: SE3496324246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342543
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Taylor, K, Wakefield District Heritage, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03852/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].