SHEPHERDS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135511

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1966

Statutory Address: SHEPHERDS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, CLUNTERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEPHERDS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 19:04:30.

Location

Statutory Address: SHEPHERDS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, CLUNTERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29831 18148

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE2918 HORBURY CLUNTERGATE (south side)

9/5 Shepherds Arms Public 15.2.66 House.

- II

Public House. Timber frame of 1538, north range (Bartlett); the rest 1593, with later cladding; extensively modernised in 1964. Rendered walls. Stone slate roof. Two storeys. A north-south range (the southern part slightly wider) and an east-west range giving a 'T' plan. The front is of 3 bays with a projecting gabled wing to right (the north wing). Most openings, including the lean-to porch to bay 3, are C20. The wing has an exposed king-post truss in its gable. Rear: the south wing has an exposed king-post truss with a quadrant moulding to the tie-bean and many housings in the king-post probably for several arrangements of studding. Later flat-roofed additions to rear not of special interest. Broad projecting lateral stack to right return, south end. Interior: fireplace in south wing, relating to southern projecting stack, with a sunken quadrant moulding to the jambs, a raised keystone and a relieving arch above; several original beams and joists. Plaster date plaques of 1593 and fleur-de-lys have been reset as decorations throughout the building. The building was formerly a gentleman's residence known as Nether Hall whose earliest known occupants were the Binns family around 1600. Later occupants were Lawrence Horrocks, his son, William Coppendale (until 1724), John Scholefield and John Allott of Crigglestone. It became the Shepherds Arms beer house in the 1850s. K. Bartlett. Report awaiting publication. K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage. 1975. Published by Wakefield European Architectural Heritage Year Committee.

Listing NGR: SE2983118148

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342498

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, K, Wakefield District Heritage, (1975)

End of official listing