HEALEY NEW MILL INCLUDING ATTACHED CHIMNEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135519

Date first listed: 06-May-1988

Statutory Address: HEALEY NEW MILL INCLUDING ATTACHED CHIMNEY, HEALEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEALEY NEW MILL INCLUDING ATTACHED CHIMNEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 13:19:10.

Location

Statutory Address: HEALEY NEW MILL INCLUDING ATTACHED CHIMNEY, HEALEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 26932 18952

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE21NE OSSETT HEALEY ROAD (south end)

6/26 Healey New Mill including attached chimney.

- II

Scribbling and fulling mill, now industrial units. 1826-7 for Benjamin Hallas (Ossett clothier). Coursed squared rubble (north and east elevations) and brick (south and west elevations). Stone slate roofs. 3 storeys and attic. 8-bay north-south main building with a single-bay engine house to the south and a further 2 bays, less wide, further south. To the west of the main building (south end) is an additional 3-bay unit to which is attached the chimney. East side: 11 bays. 3 wide ground-floor openings (one blocked, one part blocked). 2-light flat-faced stone mullion windows with 4-pane sashes and 18-pane fixed lights, some altered to form doorways. North gable: four bays of 2-light windows as before but those to bay 3 have been altered to form loading doors with hoist above. One 4-light window to gable apex. The west elevation and the addition have similar windows but much is obscured by later buildings. Square stone chimney with tapering brick upper part. Later addition to south end. Interior: the engine house, built for a 33 horse power steam engine is now floored. The building is of "fireproof" construction with cast-iron columns, beams and joists and stone flag floors. The columns have moulded caps and bases and support the junctions of the beams which are of inverted T-section with swollen bottom section, cambered and have cast sockets for T joists. The 2nd floor is open to the roof with large queen-post trusses. Benjamin Hallas went bankrupt in 1830 and from 1836-c1880 the mill was owned by the Healey New Mill Company, a co-operative of 29 Ossett clothiers for spinning, carding, scribbling and fulling. After 1881 it was used for the recovered wool industry and mungo manufacture and later shoddy manufacture.

J. Goodchild 'The Ossett Mill Company' Textile History, pp 46-6l 1968-70.

Listing NGR: SE2693218952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342519

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Goodchild, J, Textile History, (1968-70), 46-61

End of official listing