This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BRIGGS MEMORIAL HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BRIGGS MEMORIAL HALL

List entry Number: 1135543

Location

THE BRIGGS MEMORIAL HALL, WHITWOOD COMMON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342474

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLEFORD WHITWOOD COMMON LANE SE42SW (north side) 4/12 The Briggs Memorial 14.4.1975 Hall (formerly listed ast Castleford Briggs 5 Memorial Hall) GV II Meeting hall. c1907, by C. F. A. Voysey for Henry Briggs and Son. Roughcast render on brick, tiled roof. Small rectangular 5-bay building in Arts and Crafts style, with simple battered buttresses. The east gable end has a canted flat-roofed porch with a doorway in the centre and a simple rectangular window in each side; above the porch a rectangular sandstone plaque lettered:- IN MEMORY OF ARTHUR CURRER BRIGGS BORN 1855 DIED 1906 and above this a large lunette window with rectilinear-pattern glazing bars, and a hoodmould with run-out ends. The side walls have smaller but similar lunette windows at the top of each bay. Roof with swept eaves, barge-boarded at the gable. Attached at each rear corner is a small single-cell building of square section, with similar buttresses, a doorway in the front wall and a small window in the side (probably toilets).

Listing NGR: SE4055624340

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 40556 24340

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:34:56.

End of official listing