This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1135545



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Warmfield cum Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Aug-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342379

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 3519 and SE 3520 WARMFIELD-CUM-HEATH HEATH COMMON (east side)

6/74 The Old School 14.2.52 House (formerly listed as "School House")


Endowed school and attached Master's house, now house. c1660 with alterations c1751 when schoolmaster's house was added. Large well-coursed gritstone, punch-dressed to addition, stone-slate roof. Single-storey school with 2-storey master's cottage. Quoins. School house has 3-bay facade with central doorway with double tie-stone jambs, deep Tudor-arched lintel with chamfered surround. To either side a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed window. Coped gables with kneelers. Set back to right, Master's house has doorway with monolithic lintel to left of window with monolithic lintel and projecting sill with small-paned glazing with smaller window above. Rear: chamfered cross-window to left of 2 sash windows with lintels and projecting sills. Left-hand return, gable-on to the Common, has large 20-pane sash window with raised plain-stone surrounds.

Interior: altered to form dwelling. One pane of glass scratched "Mary Wynn 1751". Three king-post trusses with angle-struts.

Lady Bolles of Heath Old Hall endowed the foundation with £25.12.6 annually for a schoolmaster and usher at 'lately built school in Heath'.

Listing NGR: SE3579520038

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 35795 20038


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135545 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:30:24.

End of official listing